Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Best. Day. Ever.

Ah, the culinary arts are a cruel mistress.  They move one to commit such outlandish acts as convincing one's husband that yes, a $100 chef's knife is truly a necessity.  Apparently, marriage to me is also a cruel yoke to bear, since I did, indeed, convince said husband to buy me not just one knife, but a set of three. THREE!  An 8 inch chef's knife, a 5 1/2 inch slicer, and a paring. And they came in the mail today!  I was trying to take a nap when the UPS guy rang the doorbell, and after I discovered the treasures inside the box, I was too excited to go back to sleep.  Witness the perfection:


After much research, I decided to go with Global knives, as opposed to Henckels or Wusthof, because I have fairly small hands and the Global knives are considerably lighter and easier to handle than their German counterparts.  And they are SHARP.  Gloriously, gloriously sharp.  I discovered when chopping potatoes that I really don't even have to apply pressure--just plop the knife on top of the potato and let it do the work for you.  Honestly, the difference between a cheapo $20 chef's knife and the bad boy pictured above is amazingly evident.  Totally worth every penny.  Now I just have to work on my knife skills.  And pick which cookware set is best for my culinary exploits....hmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment